Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Success...?

It's been way too long since my last post. There are times I have been too busy, but the times I haven't I've spent the time doing something else. Reading, mostly. I'm two books into the Stieg Larsson trilogy and so far both have been fantastic. Very reminiscent of Dan Brown but slightly better writing (I mean that as a compliment to Larsson, not an insult to Brown). The two I've read so far are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire.

The title of this post is a subject I have been wanting to write about for a while. A few weeks ago I had a physician that I had done some work for contact me and say that they had found some huge errors made by their current billing company and they wanted to move their account over to my company. I made the required phone calls-my wife and my business partner-and everyone seemed excited. Later when talking to family whenever work would come up I would mention the addition and everyone would offer congratulations. The only problem is that I'm not sure that they're deserved. Not because I do bad work or don't deserve another client but because I don't feel that the additional business is actually a success worth congratulation. I've spent the weeks after pondering what success really is. It's easy to say that the term has many definitions that change from person to person, but on some level we all share a general idea of what it means. What I can't figure out is what should be considered success. Is happiness success? Monetary gain? Family? Friends? Is it qualitative or quantitative or some mixture of both? I wonder if 10-15 years from now I will look back at this point in my life and say that I was successful, or if I would even say that I am now.

The semester is almost over...thank God...and I know that I'll get an A in 5 out of 6 classes. The only one I'm unsure about is Chemistry and that one will be down to the Final to determine if I get an A or a B. Unfortunately my finals are on May 5th and my next class starts May 11th so I don't really have much of a break. It's the price I pay, though, for being so ambitious.

I've been missing my brothers a lot lately. I think about them all the time...Ryan up in PA, Cody down in Riverdale, and Austin up in Cleveland. I don't hear from any of them often enough, but they would probably say the same about me. I honestly can't remember the last time we were all together, probably Cody's wedding. We need to get together soon, which is why I'm so glad Ryan will be coming down during the summer.

Meg and I are thinking about buying a house. There are some great deals out there that would make buying cheaper than renting. That is, of course, if we can get approved.

I had a great birthday the other day, but we spent too much on dinner and drinks. I've been begging for an iPad for months and Meg was going to take me to get one on my birthday but she didn't realise that it's sold out everywhere and has a 2 week wait online. In the meantime we had a litle bit of a financial snafu (related to dinner) and now I'm not sure if we're going to get one anymore. For those of you naysayers out there my plan was to use the iPad as a replacement for all of my textbooks, so ha! There is a practical use for one!

I'm not 100% sure what else to share at this point so I think I'm going to call it a day. I promise to make a sincere effort to blog more often in the future.

Random thoughts: I recently learned that the enthalpy of the universe is constantly increasing...I couldn't agree more, I want to go to a Braves game, I'm hungry...then again I'm always hungry on school days, some people dress in such odd ways, in 6 weeks I will be starting classes at UGA!!!

I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment